Previous applicants need not apply.
Department: Engineering & Operations
Team: Civic & Open Space
Employment Status: Permanent
Employment Arrangement: Full-Time, 35 hours per week with access to Council's flexible working arrangements
Salary: $61,401 – $70,388 per annum, dependent upon experience, plus 11% Superannuation
We are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Horticulturist to join our Open Space team on a full-time basis.
The purpose of the position is to maintain and enhance areas around Strathfield Council’s LGA and conduct horticulturist responsibilities, including but not limited to, pruning, planting, mulching, spraying, mowing and litter collection. The position is also required to assist in other areas of Park & Recreation maintenance programs as required.
To achieve this, the position requires the following duties:
- Undertake and successfully complete applicable Council Management Plan Strategies within “Sustainable Environment”.
- Communicate with the Open Space Supervisor, on matters relating to work and maintenance programs to help create an effective work team environment.
- Assist with various tasks, projects and responsibilities of Parks Services so to achieve department objectives.
- Identify and assist with provision of plants required for general landscape requirements & specialist purposes including display beds.
- Plan and organise resources for the horticultural team to accomplish maintenance tasks
- Achieve and maintain consistent high levels of quality customer service.
- Be accountable for working conditions under the control of the position and for detecting any unsafe or unhealthy conditions or behaviour and to take immediate steps to investigate and rectify any risks to health, safety and welfare arising from any work activity.
- Maintain fleet, plant and tools to support operational activities.
- Contribute to the provision of a safe, welcoming and positive environment for customers.
- Complete work within Council’s policies and any duties as reasonably requested by the Open Space Coordinator.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Qualifications in Horticulture (minimum TAFE Certificate III in Horticulture Parks and Gardens) or equivalent knowledge, skills and experience.
- A current Class C Driver’s Licence.
- General Safety (White Card) Induction.
- Chemcert training (AQF 3)
- Relevant qualifications in Landscaping or equivalent knowledge, skills and experience (DESIRABLE)
- Senior First Aid Certificate (DESIRABLE)
- Current NSW Class MR Driver’s Licence (DESIRABLE)
- Traffic Control (traffic controller, implement traffic control plans) (DESIRABLE)
- Experience working in Local Government (DESIRABLE)
For more details on the requirements for this role please refer to the position description below.
To review this position description for this role, please click here.
To see a list of Benefits, please click here.
Applicants can apply through our online application process:
1. Please fill out your details below and attach a cover letter, resume and relevant licences/ qualifications on the next page.
Your cover letter should address the selection criteria as found in the position description.
2. Review and answer our designated questions before concluding your application.
Please note you must be double vaccinated against Covid-19 to and to attend an interview and work in this position.
Council is an EEO employer with a special focus on attracting and retaining women in operational roles. Female applicants can be ensured of Council’s full support and encouragement in applying and upon appointment.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Jean Capdor on 02 9748 9999.
Applications Close at 10pm, Tuesday 3 October 2023