Previous applicants need not apply.
Department: Engineering & Operations
Team: Open Space
Employment Status: Permanent
Employment Arrangement: Full-Time, 35 hours per week with access to Council's flexible working arrangements
Salary: Grade 5 $57,241.44 – $65,536.78 per annum, dependent upon experience, plus 11% Superannuation
Strathfield Council (Council) is a medium sized Council located in Sydney’s Inner West. The area of the Council comprises approximately 14 square kilometres and has an estimated population of 46,000 residents, which is growing at 2.5-3% annually. Based on NSW Government projections, the population will increase to over 80,000 by 2036.
We are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Parks Team Member, to join our Open Space team on a full-time basis.
The purpose of the position of the Parks Team Member is to assist in the maintenance of Council’s parks and open space areas.
To achieve this, the position requires the following duties:
- Undertake general labouring, maintenance, and cleaning work, such as grass cutting, edging and manual excavation as directed.
- Operate necessary plant and equipment such as lawn mowers (push and ride-on), edgers, whipper-snippers and other small plant machinery.
- Ensure routine cleaning and maintenance of small plant machinery.
- Comply with Council’s value statement and guidelines as outlined within our Code of Conduct.
- Comply with Council’s SWMS and WHS procedures as well as conduct risk assessments as required.
- Other duties as requested by the Open Space Supervisor.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Basic working knowledge of procedures or practices in one function. General Schooling, Year 12 Standard or specialist training in one specific subject or skill e.g. completing a TAFE Certificate Levels 1 & 2
- Current Class MR Driver’s License or willingness to obtain
- Certificate for General Construction Induction (CIC – White Card) NSW
- AQF Level 3 Chemical Certificate (Desirable)
- Experience in turf care and maintenance and general labouring including mowing, whipper-snipping, edging and excavation.
- Possess and maintain a level of physical fitness sufficient to undertake the activities of the role.
- Demonstrated commitment to a self-directed work environment and ability to take initiative to ensure gainful and productive work for each working day.
- Ability to work in a team environment in a cooperative and positive manner.
To review this position description for this role, please click here.
Applicants can apply through our online application process:
1. Please fill out your details below and attach any relevant documentation on the next page.
Applications should address the Selection Criteria set out in the position description.
2. Review and answer our designated questions before concluding your application.
In line with Council's Vaccination Policy, all applicants must be double vaccinated against Covid-19 to to attend an interview and work in this position.
Council is an EEO employer with a special focus on attracting and retaining women in operational roles. Female applicants can be ensured of Council’s full support and encouragement in applying and upon appointment.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Jean Capdor on 02 9748 9999.
Applications Close at 10pm, Tuesday 3 October 2023.