Division: Planning & Environment
Team: Waste Services
Employment Status: Casual
Hourly Range: $31.17 p/h. + 25% Casual loading and allowances
Strathfield Council is seeking capable and motivated Waste Runners to join our Waste Services team on a casual basis.
Strathfield Council is centrally located in Sydney’s inner-west, halfway between the Parramatta and Sydney CBD with accessible public transport options and parking available. As a medium-sized council, we focus on a myriad of Local Government responsibilities which services over 40,000 residents in the Strathfield LGA. Our core values of Teamwork, Integrity, Accountability and Safety are at the heart of our organisation and Council emphasises the importance of achieving work-life harmony and developing staff.
About the Role
The purpose of the position is to operate any vehicle or plant involved or associated with the provision of waste management. Ensuring the safe efficient and effective collection of streets and public refuse throughout the Municipality
The major role for the position of Waste Driver / Loader is to:
· Assist drivers in the collection of all residential waste bins and/or scheduled council kerbside clean-ups presented along allocated routes in line with Council’s service guidelines and service levels
· Competently operate mobile computer devices, technology, and Council applications, including future technology enhancements
· Transport mobile garbage bins from waste storage locations to collection points for emptying
· Work with supervisors and support staff to plan and prioritise collections and workloads to ensure safe operations and to minimize risks
· Report all incidents and accidents, including damage to bins, spills and other specific environmental elements that impact on the community
· Ensure that the interior and exterior of the vehicle is maintained, clean and tidy at all times
· Check assigned vehicle or plant daily and report any faults, defects and be responsible for truck cleanliness.
· Operation of vehicles and plant for the removal and disposal of waste.
· Observe the requirements of work health and safety and environmental legislation;
· Participate in on-the-job training.
· Operation of two-way radio and/or portable communications equipment.
· Carry out any other duties as directed from time to time by the Waste Services Manager and or Team Leader
· Complete all relevant paperwork as required
For more details regarding the specific challenges and accountabilities of this position, please see the attached PD below.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a current NSW Class C Driver’s licence
- Higher School Certificate or equivalent qualification
To review this position description for this role, please click here.
To see the benefits available for staff, please click here.
Applicants can apply through our online application process:
1. Please fill out your details below and attach any relevant documentation on the next page.
Applications should address the Selection Criteria.
2. Review and answer our designated questions before concluding your application.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Terrence Wong on 02 9748 9999.
Please note you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend an interview and work in this position.
Applications Close at 10pm, Sunday 2nd April 2023.