Council is seeking a Senior Development Assessment Planner to fill a
Permanent Full Time Position
35 hour week with a variable day off each month
Salary from $89,687.52 pa to $104,037.96 pa + Superannuation
Leaseback vehicle available + allowances
- Lovely Southern Highlands location
- Great team environment
- Focus on Health and Well Being with flexible working conditions
- Be part of our growing dynamic council
Located in the beautiful Southern Highlands of NSW, 1.5 hours south-west of Sydney -
Wingecarribee Shire Council is working to create and nurture a vibrant & diverse community in harmony with the region's urban, agricultural & natural environments.
About the Role:
The position of Senior Development Assessment Planner actively undertakes the business functions associated with the:
- Assessment and determination of development applications and Part 4 Certificates relating to multi dwelling residential housing, commercial, industrial development and subdivisions.
- Provision of high-level technical advice to both internal and external clients of the Council on Planning matters in order to comply with the Group's customer service obligations.
- Mentoring and support of less experienced staff within the Development Assessment business unit in order to build capacity.
The position will assist the Manager of Development Assessment by participating in a business transformation model to achieve cultural change and succeed in accomplishing agreed service delivery outcomes.
1. Tertiary qualifications in Town Planning, Urban and Regional Planning, Science or equivalent discipline with a minimum 5 years' demonstrated experience in Town Planning / Development Assessment, within a local government context.
2. Previous experience in staff mentoring and building capacity in order to professionally develop technical skills and experience to meet both assessment targets as contained within the group's business plan and achieve customer service commitments.
3. Demonstrated extensive and detailed knowledge of relevant legislation including the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and Regulations 2000, with proven comprehensive experience in the assessment of complex development proposals in a variety of residential, commercial and industrial and rural contexts.
4. Demonstrated ability to build professional relationships within the development industry and promote Council as an efficient and effective organisation and the ability to demonstrate professional acumen in all business dealings with internal and external clients of the Council.
5. Demonstrated ability to be resilient to work pressures and demands and has analytical and problem-solving skills including the ability to critically analyse issues and develop and implement appropriate solutions. Demonstrated ability to collect and utilise data for evidence-based decision making
6. Demonstrated high level experience in the use of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Demonstrated high level experience in the use of Electronic Document Management Systems, computer based Geographic Information Systems, Customer Request Management Systems and assessment management tools (report and consent generation).
7. Ability to apply technical standards and have an appreciation and acceptance of political decision making within a local government context. Ability to be able to balance development outcomes within a political context Version: 1, Version Date: 24/09/2021 Document Set ID: 104599 Wingecarribee Shire Council, Position Description - Senior Development Assessment Planner, Version 1 Date Adopted: 10/05/2021 Page 3 of 5
8. Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to critically analyse issues and develop and implement appropriate solutions. Ability to prepare technical reports utilising clear and concise language including being able to be communicate to a range of stakeholders both internal and external and to negotiate outcomes and resolve conflict.
9. Ability to follow instructions, operate independently and with minimal supervision. Demonstrated ability to accept challenges, embrace change management principles, prioritise workloads and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
10. Demonstrated ability and commitment to providing quality customer service to both internal and external customers. Ability to demonstrate professional acumen in all business dealings with internal and external clients of the Council.
11. Minimum Class C Drivers' Licence.
How to Apply:
Please upload your current resume and an explanation of how you meet the selection criteria. Applicants not addressing the selection criteria may not be considered. For further information about the role, please contact Nancy Sample (02) 4868 0888.
In accordance with Wingecarribee Shire Council's COVID 19 Safety Plan, we encourage all employees to be COVID 19 vaccinated.
Wingecarribee Shire Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer that provides an inclusive work environment and embraces the diverse talent of its people. We value people of all cultures, languages, capacities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and/or expressions. We are committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Applications are to be received by 20th November 2022.