Wollongong is a vibrant, diverse city, situated on one of Australia's most picturesque coastlines. Regarded as Australia's most liveable regional city, Wollongong offers a relaxed, coastal lifestyle with all the benefits of a major city.
Wollongong City Council is committed to the principles of employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds in both traditional and non-traditional roles.
Recreation Services Manager
Term Contract till November 2023
Salary from $126,371.84 up to $157,994.14 per annum plus superannuation and an option of a motor vehicle equalisation allowance ($8,580pa)or a lease for private use of a motor vehicle.
(Salary package will be assessed based on skills, experience, and qualifications)
Recruitment No. 22054
About the position
Due to a vacancy arising to cover someone on long service leave, we are looking for an experienced Recreation and Aquatics professional who is looking to utilise their years of experience in strategic planning and delivery of recreation services to achieve extraordinary outcomes for our community. This position is responsible for managing the effective and efficient delivery of a range of recreation services to meet community demand and stakeholder expectations with an emphasis on strategic planning of public open space and sports facilities, development, review and implementation of Council's policies, community consultation, operational excellence, quality customer service, improved cost efficiency and increased revenue generation where applicable. In particular (but may not be restricted to) the position is responsible for the management of Council's:
- beach services;
- swimming pools;
- sports field facilities;
- use of public open space; and
- recreation assets.
Your teams will fluctuate on a seasonal basis and consist of a range of specialisations from ocean and pool lifeguards through to recreation and planning officers, all of whom deliver crucial services to the community on a day-to-day basis. Working across a diverse range of businesses the role will include, without being limited to, the following duties:
- Monitoring, reviewing and analysing external trends, developments and legislation relative to the Division and adopting appropriate improvement opportunities.
- Managing stakeholder relationships through consultative processes that contribute to effective strategic, corporate and business plans.
- Lead and manage projects to ensure achievement of outcomes.
- Managing and controlling expenditure and activities against budgets
- Preparing reports and submissions to Council
- Undertaking community needs assessments through surveys, benchmarking activities, focus groups, public meetings and working parties.
- Drive a program of continuous improvement across all recreation service areas targeting service quality and safety, operational efficiency, operational flexibility, customer satisfaction and cost recovery.
- Manage the employees in their work area to ensure their work activities are being undertaken in compliance with policies, procedures and relevant documentation
- Managing change in an organisational context
- Managing the performance, development and mentoring of staff and self by ensuring that opportunities are presented to enhance learning and professional capability.
- Developing, providing guidance and continuously reviewing strategies across functions and activities, ensuring the involvement of relevant staff within and outside the Branch.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
Hold a degree in Recreation, Business Management or equivalent.
Be an experienced Recreation and Aquatics professional
Be experienced in strategic planning of public open space and sports facilities
Have strong leadership and communication skills
Be passionate about delivering recreation and aquatics outcomes for the community
Be innovative and forward thinking
Benefits of working at Council:
We have a culture based on values of Integrity, Respect, Sustainability, One Team and Courage
We support and encourage study and career development
We foster personal and professional growth
We understand the importance of work/life balance and offer flexible work arrangements
We recognise and reward performance and embrace change
We are committed to providing a safe working environment for all
We provide many mental, physical and social wellbeing programs to support our staff to be the best that they can be
How to Apply
Click 'apply' to be redirected to Councils e-recruitment page
For further information regarding this position contact Lucielle Power, Manager Property + Recreation on 02 4227 8676
Any questions regarding submitting the application online please contact the Recruitment team on (02) 4227 7065.
Applications close 11:59pm Monday 30 May 2022.
We are adhering to NSW Public Health Guidelines with regard to COVID19. As such this recruitment action will be conducted in line with current public health orders, for example online interviews. Currently there is also no mandatory COVID-19 vaccination requirement for this position. Should a public health order or relevant legislation require the position to comply to mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations, applicants will be required to comply.
Applicants are required to undergo a rigorous employment screening process which will include Reference, Identity and Medical History Checks, and may also include a Criminal History and Working with Children Check. Employment is subject to clearance of all these checks.