- Are you an experienced manager and finance professional looking for a new adventure?
- Fantastic opportunity to utilise your experience with a passionate regional council!
- Attractive base salary circa $130,000 PLUS 11% super, accommodation & vehicle allowance, relocation assistance!
About the Organisation
The Victoria Daly Regional Council was formed as part of the Local Government reforms in the Northern Territory. Council Service Centres are located in Kalkaringi, Yarralin, Timber Creek, Pine Creek and Nauiyu.
With a vision to be a recognised leader within Australia's Local Government, the Council's aim is to work towards developing a broad range of strategies that will help shape its vision for the region through excellent service delivery and community engagement; assisting to build one of the most sustainable, vibrant and diverse regions in Australia. The Council strives to form partnerships that ensure strategic goals are met.
About the Opportunity
Victoria Daly Regional Council is now looking for a full-time Director of Financial Services to join their team in Katherine, NT.
Reporting to the CEO, this position is part of Council's Executive Team. You will plan and manage all financial activities to ensure Council meets their legislation/governance requirements and maximises revenue opportunities.
- Provide high-level guidance and advice to the CEO, Executive team, senior management and Elected Members on all financial compliance and budget matters
- Manage a small team of staff responsible for a range of finance, procurement and funding services, ensuring delivery is of a high standard
- Develop, manage and continuously improve Council's financial, audit and risk, funding, and procurement functions to achieve positive outcomes
- Oversee the detailed preparation of financial budgets, supporting senior management and the executive team to determine requirements for capital expenditure
- Ensure that financial records and systems are maintained with appropriate levels of security and control over operations and assets
- Monitor and report to the Audit and Risk committee on Council's financial status and risk management activities
- Provide direction to and monitor tender and procurement processes in line with all relevant legislation
To be successful in this role you will be a fully qualified CPA or IPA, with demonstrated experience in a senior management position. Local Government experience would be an advantage, though not essential.
An excellent communicator, you will have well developed interpersonal and influential skills, including the ability to build effective working relationships across all levels of stakeholders.
It's important that you are a dynamic and forward-thinking leader, with a strong understanding of accounting and financial practices, frameworks, principles, concepts and methodologies.
You'll have a history of preparing and producing complex, high-level financial reports and the analytical skills needed to drive continuous improvement processes as the council continues to grow and evolve. You will also need experience in migrating IT Systems as well as experience using Xero.
Please Note: A current Driver's Licence, Working with Children clearance and a criminal history check will be required prior to commencing in this role.
About the Benefits
By taking on this pivotal role, you will be joining an organisation that truly values its employees, and actively encourages training and further study.
You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package circa $130,000 plus 11% super and an additional remote area, accommodation and vehicle allowance of $31,039, to significantly increase the size of your take-home package. Relocation costs up to $20,000 will be covered by council, to support you in moving to this beautiful part of the country!
Victoria Daly Regional Council offers a family friendly workplace, with fantastic working conditions and benefits, plus you will enjoy fantastic job security within the Council sector.
If you are an experienced manager looking to join a friendly and welcoming regional council, don't wait - Apply Now!
Where the outback meets the rainforest, Katherine is the Crossroads of Australia’s North. A region full of misty waterfalls, untouched gorges and some of the best fishing in the world, the Northern Territory’s third largest town, on the banks of the Katherine River, lies just south of the world-renowned Katherine Gorge (Nitmiluk National Park).
Katherine is a thriving modern regional centre and services the areas of Pine Creek, Mataranka, Borooloola, Daly River and Timber Creek. The town itself provides ample opportunity for locals and tourists alike to experience sports, leisure and entertainment, with the population swelling during the dry season. Experience events like the Walking with Spirits Festival and the prestigious Katherine Show, or unwind and take a dip in the Katherine Hot Springs. With plenty of facilities, including a modern shopping complex and boutique stores, a hospital and schools, several sportsgrounds, as well as numerous parks and gardens and excellent fishing spots, there's plenty here to provide a comfortable living experience for all.