About the Opportunity
Cabonne Council has an exciting opportunity for a Department Leader Environmental Services in Molong, NSW.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill this permanent full-time position . This positions main responsibilities are to to provide supervisory, administrative and technical support to the Deputy General Manager Services in the coordination of waste services, animal control, cemeteries, weeds and other relevant compliance matters in line with environmentally sustainable practices. It is also responsible for administering council’s responsibilities under the Companion Animals Act, Protection of the Environment Operations Act, Contaminated Land Management Act, Biosecurity Act and associated regulations.
• Actively supervise the implementation of the council’s Waste Management Strategy, Environmental Management Plans and Operational Plans through effective use of staff and contractors.
• Work in collaboration with Netwaste, actively participating in regional Netwaste meetings and programs
• Supervision of cemetery maintenance officer proving direction, support and technical advice as necessary.
• Effectively prepare improvement plans for cemeteries.
• Supervising the development of a cemeteries Management Plan including the collection and collation of relevant data and mapping information,
• Supervising the completion of the annual cemeteries capital works program including ground maintenance and site signage/markers improvement programs,
• Supervision of animal control providing direction, support and technical advice as necessary.
• Supervising the prompt investigation and follow up to resident’s concerns and/or complaints relating to companion animals and stock control.
• Promptly investigate environmental complaints such as illegal dumping, activity, pollution, noise and odour,
• Oversee the delivery of an effective campaign for priority weed control, providing accurate information about Cabonne Council’s Weeds Program.
• Liaise with the Biosecurity (Weeds) Environmental Coordinator, and oversee the weeds team in undertaking weed spraying on Council controlled lands as required, ensuring that the objectives of the annual Weed Program are met.
• Ensure private property inspections for invasive weeds are undertaken in an efficient and professional manner, within the required regulatory framework.
What do you need to be successful?
• Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Science or related discipline, or minimum 3 years’ experience in relevant discipline
• Current Class C driver’s licence.
• Construction Induction Certification (White Card).
• Detailed knowledge and experience in waste management and environmental controls
• Detailed knowledge and experience in biosecurity (weeds) management
• Detailed knowledge and experience in cemetery management and maintenance
• Detailed knowledge and experience in animal control
• Experience in leading and supervising a multi-disciplined team.
• Sound understanding of, and ability to interpret and apply, the Companion Animals Act, Protection of the Environment Operations Act, the Contaminated Land Management Act, Local Government Act, Impounding Act, Cemeteries and Crematoria Act, Biosecurity Act and regulations, Environmental Protection Authority’s environmental guidelines, as well as any supplementary acts and guidelines pertinent to the incumbent’s position.
Other details relating to this position are:
- Salary is $90K to $97K per annum, depending on experience
- All Council full-time staff operate under a 9 Day Fortnight arrangement
- Employment is under the Local Government (State) Award 2020
- Applications close 8pm Sunday 16 May 2021
- You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job
- Cabonne Council proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity
How to Apply
Before you apply for this position, please take a few moments to read the information carefully and assess your eligibility and suitability for the position. You will be required to answer a few questions that relate to the criteria on the online application below. You will also be asked to attach your current resume which should include two recent employment related referees. Please note that you cant submit your application without attaching your resume. A cover letter is not required, Council will only accept applications submitted online. If you have any questions about this position, please contact Council's Deputy General Manager, Cabonne Services, Heather Nicholls on 6392 3223 . Cabonne Council operates a merit based recruitment process
Pre Employment Screening
In the event that you are shortlisted for an interview, and are then selected to progress to the next stage following interview, you must be prepared to undergo the following pre-employment screening processes as part of the selection process.
- A pre employment physical examination (at Council's expense) including a hearing test and may include a drug and alcohol test
- Council may also check the authenticity of certificates and qualifications