- Expand your town planning experience and work in a spectacular location with a passionate local Council!
- Attractive remuneration package circa $84,832 - $114,643 plus 9.5% super & salary packaging!
- Further benefits include career advancement opportunities, 5 weeks annual leave & flexi-days for a 9-day fortnight!
Walgett Shire Council and the Lighting Ridge Area
Walgett Shire Council is a local government on the border of New South Wales and Queensland that provides services to Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri and the surrounding rural areas. The Shire covers an area of 22,000 square kilometres and has a population of approximately 6,000.
Found near the junction of the Namoi River and Barwon River, Walgett is a town full of history, tranquillity and adventure. A former paddle-steamer port, it is the northern gateway to the Darling River Run, a fascinating journey that takes in stunning landscapes and rich history.
Just under an hour's drive north, the Lightning Ridge area offers plenty of adventure, history and Outback majesty. From fossicking for opals to admiring art in an underground cave, there's something for everyone in this unique and colourful region include relaxing in naturally-heated springs, fishing on the Barwon or Namoi Rivers, and so much more.
For more information about Walgett and the Lightning Ridge area, please click here.
About the Opportunity
Walgett Shire Council now has an exciting opportunity for a Town Planner to join their team on a full-time, permanent basis in Walgett, NSW.
Reporting to the Director of Environmental Services, you will primarily be responsible for providing planning and assessment services, as well as professional guidance to applicants, Council, the community and government agencies on development and town planning related matters.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work across a wide variety of projects, from "backyard" cases to major developments. Your day-to-day duties will include (but will not be limited to):
- Assessing and processing routine Development Applications as required;
- Processing and managing Operative Consent requests;
- Preparing and issuing relevant planning certificates including outstanding notices;
- Preparing written reports for Council on matters related to the Environmental Services Division;
- Preparing statutory reports relevant to the position as required; and
- Liaising with staff and other Government authorities as necessary.
To view the full position description, please click here.
To be considered for this role, you must be tertiary-qualified in urban and regional planning, or a closely-related discipline, and demonstrate advanced knowledge of land use planning-related legislation. Walgett Shire Council are open to applicants of all experience levels!
You will need strong oral and written communication skills, as well as a high level of organisation and the ability to maintain high quality work whilst managing conflicting deadlines. You must also be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite and Authority softwares, whilst knowledge of Mapinfo or Trim would be highly regarded.
Importantly, you will be a team player and demonstrate respect for your coworkers, Director and wider team. You will need to be able to build and maintain positive relationships, as you will be living as part of a small, close-knit community. You must have an understanding of living and working in a rural setting, and the various challenges that are associated with this. An open mind and can-do attitude will be essential to your success!
Please note: You will need to possess a current, Class 'C' Australian drivers licence.
About the Benefits
In return for your hard work and dedication, the successful candidate will be rewarded with an attractive salary circa $84,832 - $114,643, dependant on your experience and qualifications.
You will also gain access to a great range of additional benefits, including:
- Salary packaging options;
- 9.5% superannuation contribution;
- A 9 day fortnight;
- 5 weeks annual leave;
- Subsidised, furnished housing or rental assistance; and
- Flexi-days to ensure a great work/life balance.
This is an opportunity to advance your career with a supportive council that enjoys great staff retention and an inclusive work culture. You will be joining a passionate, multi-skilled team and receive ongoing professional development opportunities to excel your career!
Join a passionate Council in a fantastic location and experience variety in your career - Apply Now!