Job No: BC1485
Location: Blacktown, NSW
Blacktown is a vibrant city located in the very heart of Greater Sydney, half-way between Sydney City and the Blue Mountains. It is a city of ambition and excitement. With a total of 48 residential suburbs, and population of 395,000 coming from more than 180 different birthplaces, Blacktown City is one of the most diverse communities in Australia.
Working in Blacktown City provides a wealth of professional opportunities. Blacktown City Council is the largest Council in New South Wales, 4th largest in Australia and a leader in the development of the Western Sydney region. With almost unmatched growth expected over the next 25 years, we are on an exciting journey of transformation to prepare for a population of more than 550,000. There has never been a more exciting time to join one of Sydney’s most dynamic and high-performing Councils as we continue to deliver outstanding levels of service for our proud and diverse community and prepare our great city for the future.
About the opportunity
This position presents a great opportunity for a motivated policy/strategic Planner who is seeking a varied role in a well regarded, diverse local Council.
Taking advantage of this opportunity to demonstrate your abilities as a genuine innovator, you will assist in the management and operation of a team of dedicated town planning professionals to contribute to the future character of Blacktown City as you carry out a range of planning duties in new release areas, as well as in developing and existing areas.
With Blacktown City experiencing unprecedented demand for growth, a dynamic planner with a genuine interest in creating and enacting strategic plans and policies will guide and control extensive future development areas and promote the ongoing vibrancy and amenity of our local communities.
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in Urban Planning recognised by the Planning Institute of Australia
- A minimum of two (2) years relevant work experience
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Current Class c driver’s licence.
- Experience in preparing and amending LEPs and DCPs
- Experience in researching and reporting on complex planning and development issue
- Project management skills
- Experience in the engagement and coordination of consultants
- Knowledge of applicable legislation/regulations, including the appropriate sections of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, State Environmental Planning Policies and NSW Planning Reforms.
Salary and Conditions
The salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with Blacktown City Council’s Enterprise Agreement.
- A competitive salary will be negotiated with the preferred candidate based on qualifications and experience
- 35 hour working week
- Leaseback vehicle
- Opportunity to participate in Council's flextime arrangement
- Employee benefits such as leave entitlements (where applicable), 9.5% employer superannuation contribution payable to the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, Fitness Passport and gym membership discounts, and social clubs.
Our commitment to safety
Blacktown City Council is committed to safety. We have introduced alcohol and other drug testing at the pre-employment phase, and via a series of random tests, tests where there may be reasonable suspicion and / or post reportable incident testing for Council workers.
Best of luck.
Closing Date: 28 February 2020
Contact Officer: Rita Vella on 9839 5909
INTERNAL REF: BCC571