Shoalhaven is located just 2 hours from Sydney and 2.5 hours from Canberra. The City is home to 104,000 people and comprises of 49 unique towns and villages. It is a place of great natural beauty and offers an enviable lifestyle and positive work-life balance.
Why Work for Shoalhaven City Council?
Shoalhaven City Council is a dynamic organisation serving a large and diverse community; limitless opportunity exists for an exciting and rewarding career.
We are committed to creating a positive culture and strong team environment, and offer a range of benefits:
- Generous leave entitlements
- Long service leave after 5 years
- Flexitime for indoor staff
- Fitness passport
- Novated lease arrangements
- Discounted private health insurance
- Training and development programs
About the role
We are seeking two tertiary qualified or near qualified Strategic Planners with relevant experience to join our Strategic Planning team.
These two permanent positions are in the Strategic Planning Section of Councils Planning, Environmental and Development Group. You will work 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday (9am-5pm) at the Nowra Administration Building and have access to Councils Variable Working Hours Scheme.
The successful applicants will be exposed to fantastic career development opportunity as grade progression may take place from Grade 9 to Grade 11(subject to increased responsibilities, skills and competencies being met).
What will you be doing?
The focus of this position is to:
- Assist the relevant Team Coordinator – Strategy Planning, Special Projects or Local Planning in the delivery of Council’s business objectives.
- Undertake and be involved in a range of strategic planning functions, duties and tasks including the preparation of a wide range of strategic planning (including structure plans, settlement strategies, environmental studies, planning proposals/ local environmental plans, development control plans, contribution plans, urban design plans) and other policy documents.
- Review and prepare submissions to government agency initiatives, policies or legislation.
- Engage and liaise with the community and internal/external stakeholders on strategic planning enquiries and projects
What we are looking for?
In order to be successful in the position, you will be/ possess:
- Completion, or near completion, of recognised tertiary qualifications in a field such as urban and regional or town planning (or related tertiary qualifications), providing eligibility for corporate membership of the Planning Institute of Australia.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant environmental planning legislation and ability to interpret legislation such as the NSW Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979.
- Well developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Class C Drivers License.
How to Apply
You are not required to address all selection criteria outlined in the Job Description. You will be required to upload a brief cover letter (no more than 2 pages) and a resume.
During the application you will also be required to respond to position related questions and questions regarding general information about you. The position related questions you are required to address are shown below.
- At Shoalhaven City Council our corporate core values are: Collaboration, Adaptability, Integrity and Respect. Please choose one value and advise how you have enacted this value in a professional setting.
- What are your areas of interest within strategic planning (policy, strategy, centers etc.) and why?
- Please provide details of a large strategic planning project you have worked on. What were the challenges you faced? What would you have done differently?
- Demonstrate your experience in communicating with external stakeholders.
Contact: - Gordon Clark – (02) 4429 3355
Applications Close: Sunday, 1 March 2020 (at Midnight)
When your application has been submitted completely, you will receive a confirmation email