Gympie is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from rural valleys in the west to the Cooloola Coast, gateway to spectacular Fraser Island. Enjoy the rural delights of the picturesque Mary Valley, the history of Gympie and the broad western area, home to country festivals and a strong agricultural base. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique opportunity. You could be part of a forward thinking local government organisation with a commitment to continuously improving the services it provides to its 50,000 residents, in one of the most diverse locations in Queensland.
Leading Hand - Town Road Crew/Maintenance
Remuneration: $60,131 pa plus allowances and 13% super
Closing Date: Sunday 15 December 2019 at 22:00pm AEST
No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via council's online application system will be considered. Unsolicited applications from agencies will not be considered.
The Leading hand works under remote supervision and is responsible for providing high level support to the Supervisor through the coordination and supervision of daily activities of work crews whilst performing construction and maintenance tasks.
What we are looking for?
Council is seeking the skill of a self-motivated decision maker, who can lead, develop, mentor and coach others, while promoting a team work ethic. As Leading Hand - Town Road Crew/Maintenance, you could expect to be involved with:-
- The supervision and direction of a work team of 1-4 labourers on maintenance projects.
- Reading plans, procuring supplies and implementing work programs to meet operational goals.
- Performing labouring/plant operation duties
- Being involved with continuous improvement programs
To be successful in this role, candidates will require:
- Demonstrated ability to perform work at trade or equivalent level under remote supervision.
- Ability to operate and maintain plant and equipment consistent with competencies held.
- Capacity to perform physical labouring tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively motivate and coordinate a team to complete daily jobs within a work environment of low complexity. (BSBWOR502)
- Demonstrated ability to manage time, set priorities and plan works in an environment of changing priorities and competing demands. (BSBWOR404)
- Sound numeracy, written and verbal communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of workplace health and safety considerations relevant to the area and proven ability to limit risks in this type of environment. (BSBWHS401/RIIRIS301D)
- Ability to ensure all work is performed to meet legislative requirements and responsibilities of council.
Candidates with a certificate III or IV in civil construction, and/or actual experience in roads construction and maintenance including earthworks, pavements, drainage, stormwater and concreting would be highly regarded.
For a full position description containing essential and desirable criteria, please click here.
What we offer?
- Nine day fortnight
- Access to employee health and well-being programs
- Fitness Passport: work out at over 25 local gyms for you and your family at a subsidised rate
- Access to professional development and employee education assistance
- Long service leave after seven years
- Generous superannuation scheme 13 per cent
- Access to salary sacrificing
- Employee assistance program offering free confidential counselling services for employees and their families.
How to apply
Applications can be made online via Council's website www.gympie.qld.gov.au