- Leverage your expert legal skills in an exciting local government environment
- Leaseback Vehicle with position
- Enjoy flexible work conditions with a rostered day off every three weeks
Centrally located only 12 kilometres from the Sydney CBD, the City of Ryde is home to major commercial and residential centres, a diverse range of neighbourhood and town centres, extensive national parks and waterways.
Right now, we have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Solicitor to join the City of Ryde's Legal Services team, reporting to the General Counsel. You will be responsible for providing high level value-added legal advice, strategies and solutions to the City Ryde including but not limited to reviewing and preparing complex legal documentation, providing written advices, implementing training for staff as to legal issues, managing all aspects of assigned legal matters and working with the General Counsel to develop and implement procedures and guidelines in order to ensure the best value delivery of legal services to the City of Ryde.
Key to your success is your ability to effectively interpret legislation and policy affecting local government and advocating on behalf of the City of Ryde in legal proceedings with the minimal need to brief counsel.
Your application should clearly demonstrate that you are an accomplished Senior Solicitor with advanced communication skills and a commitment to high standards of performance.
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW and hold a current NSW solicitors practising certificate.
- Extensive experience as a Solicitor in Local Government, the public sector or a large diverse organisation.
- Substantial experience advocating on behalf of an organisation in legal proceedings with minimal need to brief counsel.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret legislation and policy affecting local government including the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, Local Government Act 1993 and environmental planning instruments.
- Demonstrated ability at negotiating and drafting commercial agreements and providing effective legal strategies and advice to stakeholders.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to participate and lead in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Class C NSW Driver's Licence.
The City of Ryde offers all staff a professional working environment, on-going training and development and conditions that include an optional RDO every 3rd week.
How to apply
Apply now using our fast, easy to use on-line application process. Please note you do not need a "password" to use our on-line application system, however, you will need to complete your application without "logging-out" of the system.
In addition to answering the on-line questions, this position requires you to attach your Resume to complete the application process. Please note, you are not required to submit a cover letter or a statement addressing selection criteria.
If you would like to know more, please see the Position Description or call Paul Kapetas, General Counsel on (02) 9952 8080 for a confidential discussion.
Closing Date: Sunday 15 September 2019 at 11:30pm
City of Ryde is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer